Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Gas Prices

I go to fill up my SUV (well, actually I don't do it myself - everything is full service) today and I can't help but think that I am lucky to be living in the Middle East right now. It seems that all I hear when I get a chance to watch American news, besides the whole Obama vs. Clinton thing that I am entirely sick of, is about how oil and gas reach record prices nearly every day. I filled up my Ford Explorer tank, which was on empty, for about $25. I don't know how that equates to dollars per gallon because here they use imperial gallons and I don't know how those compare to a US gallon, but I do know it would cost a whole lot more than $25 to fill up my tank. I also thought that the price hasn't changed since we got here. Nearly a year ago when we arrived, we were paying the same amount to fill the tank. Even with oil prices rising so rapidly the past few months, the price of gas still hasn't changed here. It just begs the question, where are all those record profits going??? Nick should have gone to work for Chevron after all.

2 comments:

Marti said...

Seriously. I was just talking to a girl who works for an oil company (I don't remember which one?) and she said she really wants to go work for Chevron because everyone has gotten HUGE pay raises there and her company is one of the few that hasn't given pay raises. Anyway, that's part of where the profits are going. Whatever. I can't even fill up my Subaru Outback for less than $40.

Ritch in Love said...

GIRL! Don't even get me started on the price of gas these days!! Arrgghhh...thank goodness I don't drive every day! I don't know how real families survive! I'm on airplanes so often that it doesn't make too big of a dent in my wallet, but when it does IT HURTS!