Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Holy Month

Today officially marks the beginning of the Holy Month of Ramadan. I've always heard of Ramadan being mentioned in the news, but have never really given more than a seconds thought to it. Living here, I've had to learn a little about it. Bret got these sheets at school. So, for those of you who want to know a little bit about Ramadan on a first grade level, here you go. (Isn't the artwork awesome?)








Ramadan doesn't affect us too much. The kids start school an hour later and they get out an hour earlier. We also cannot eat or drink in public during the day. I saw a lady at the school today eating or drinking something and she held a napkin over her mouth - I don't know if that counts. The school newsletter says, "Students who are fasting will be provided with an area to read and socialize separate from those who lunch in the cafeteria. Remember, it is not permissible to eat food or drink out in public during daylight hours of Ramadan. All food must be eaten only in the cafeteria." Restaurants are also closed during the daylight hours. I guess Nick will be eating his peanut butter sandwich under his desk for lunch during the next month.

Ramadan Kareem!

1 comment:

Sally said...

Ramadan Kareem! I assume that means good Ramadan? I find this totally fascinating. I have been trying to learn more about Ramadan. What a great way to show devotion and humility. The more I come to understand different faiths the more respect I have for their believes. Thanks for the information. P.S. I loved the artwork.